After going 3-7 in their last 10 games, the Orioles are facing an uphill battle if they want to get back in the win column. The Birds will take a quick road trip to Houston to face the best team in baseball this weekend.
The Astros have been dominate for most of the 2017 season, losing just three series. Two of those have been against Cleveland with the Astros getting swept by the Indians last week.
Star second baseman, Jose Altuve and veteran outfielder, Josh Reddick are two hitters to look out for in the Astros lineup while Lance McCullers and Dallas Keuchel lead the way for their starting rotation.
To make things even more difficult, the Orioles have been very lackluster on the road this season. Their 10-13 record away from Camden Yards has been just one of the O’s Achilles heals in 2017.
The Orioles have also feel farther behind the AL East leading Yankees in the last week. Baltimore is sitting 2.5 games behind New York with the Red Sox lurking not far behind. The coming weeks will certainly be tough on the Orioles as they prepare to host the Yankees and Red Sox after returning from Houston. However, stringing together some wins in these series could push the O’s back to the top of the division.
Game Times & Pitching Match-ups:
Last Meeting: The Orioles and Astros have not played against each other this season. In 2016 the O’s struggled against the Astros with a season series record of 1-6. In the series played at Minute Maid Park, the Orioles were swept by Houston and struck out a total of 52 times.
Notes on the Astros:
- The Astros enter this weekends series with the best record in baseball at 32 – 16.
- Dallas Keuchel will be returning this weekend from a brief stint on the 10-day disabled list. The left handed ace had some trouble with a pinched nerve in his neck but says he is comfortable now. Keuchel won the AL Cy Young award in 2015 and has been an early favorite for the award again this year.
- Josh Reddick holds some impressive stats when playing the Orioles. His .343 batting average is his third highest against a specific team. In his 44 career games against Baltimore, the veteran has hit eight home runs with 23 RBI’s.
Notes on the Orioles:
- Jonathan Schoop could serve as a catalyst for the Orioles offense this weekend. His .298 career batting average against the Astros is one of the best on the team.
- Ubaldo Jimenez has struggled recently and is in danger of losing his spot in the rotation. However, the veteran pitcher holds a 4-1 record against the Astros with an ERA of 2.86 in 11 career starts.