The Orioles are in the midst of a seven-game losing streak and now sit just two games above .500. With that being said, no one feels sorry for them, and their immediate future is not going to get any easier. The O’s just got swept by the Astros, who happen to have the best record in baseball, and now they are coming home to face the first-place Yankees, who the birds trail by 3.5 games in the American League East.
While the Orioles are ice cold, the Yankees are just the opposite. Over the weekend, the Yankees won two of three games in their home series against the Oakland A’s. New York lost the first game, 4-1, but won the last two games by scores of 3-2 and 9-5. The Yankees are three games ahead of the Boston Red Sox in the AL East standings, and the O’s will face Boston following this series with the Yanks.
Game 2 – Tuesday, May 30 – 7:05 pm – Luis Severino (3-2, 3.11 ERA) vs. Chris Tillman (1-1, 4.43 ERA) – MASN.
Game 3: Wednesday, May 31 – 7:05 pm – Masahiro Tanaka (5-4, 5.86 ERA) vs. Kevin Gausman (2-4, 6.17 ERA) – MASN.
Last Meeting & Season Series: The Orioles and the Yankees last met in New York from April 28-30, with the Yankees taking two of those three games. The season series between the two teams is all knotted up at 3-3, with the Orioles taking two of three games at Camden Yards in the first week of the season.
Notes on the Yankees:
- Rookie sensation Aaron Judge is tied for second place in the majors with 15 home runs. He has just one home run in the past 12 games, with the most recent coming on May 20. Against the O’s this season, Judge has a .438 batting average in 16 at-bats, with seven hits, four home runs, and seven RBI.
- Starlin Castro is the Yankees’ top hitter this season with a batting average of .326. Against the Orioles this season, Castro is .385 with 10 hits, a home run, and four RBI in 26 at-bats.
- None of the Yankees’ starters that face the Orioles in this series have gone deeper than five innings against the O’s so far this season.
- Closer Aroldis Chapman was placed on the 10-day disabled list on May 14 with rotator cuff inflammation. His projected recovery time is one month, meaning he will clearly miss this series.
Notes on the Orioles:
- In the six games played against the Yankees this season, the Orioles scored four or more runs five times. However, they allowed four or more runs five times too.
- In 13 career starts against the Yankees, Kevin Gausman has a 2.59 ERA. Both Tillman and Bundy’s career ERA’s vs. New York are above 4.
- Seth Smith’s average against the Yankees this season is .308. In 13 at-bats, he has four hits, a home run, and two RBI. Jones is .385/10/0/2 in 26 AB’s.
- Brad Brach has not appeared in a game since May 24 against the Twins. He has not allowed a run in three straight appearances. Darren O’Day has not allowed a run in five straight. His last appearance was on Saturday against Houston.
As mentioned above, the Orioles have the Red Sox on deck following this series. The four-game series with Boston runs Thursday through Sunday at Camden Yards.