BALTIMORE — Playing at home never seems to be a problem for the Orioles, and that theme carries itself into this week. The Orioles, currently in a 10-game homestead, swept the Mariners last week and split with Toronto over the weekend. The split, although disappointing, still puts the O’s at 5-2 so far this homestand. This week, the Orioles wrap up the homestead with a three-game set with the Yankees, who won their weekend series at home against the Red Sox.
Standings Update: The Red Sox (77-60) man the first-place spot in the American League East. The Yankees (73-63) sit 3.5 games back, with the Orioles (70-67) seven games behind Boston.
Wild Card Picture: New York possesses the first Wild Card spot in the American League. The Twins (71-65) have the second spot. In the hunt, 1.5 games separate the O’s from the slot the Twins currently occupy. The Angels are also 1.5 games back.
Last Meeting: Almost three months separate the last series between the Yankees and Orioles. In a three-game weekend series at Yankee Stadium from June 9-11, the Yankees took two of three from the Birds. The Yankees outscored the O’s in that series, 38-8. New York picked up wins of six, 13, and 11 points. Chris Tillman failed to get out of the second inning, and Kevin Gausman did not escape his fourth frame of work.
This sweep by the Yankees became a six-game losing streak for Baltimore, which turned into a nine-game stretch of 2-7.
Season Series: The Yankees currently own the season series over the Orioles, 7-5. At Camden Yards, however, the Orioles hold the advantage, 4-2.
Game Times and Pitching Matchups:
Notes on the Yankees:
- Aaron Judge owns a .475 average against the Orioles this season and a .478 mark at Camden Yards with two home runs. However, since the All-Star Break, Judge is hitting .176. His 37 home runs ranks second in MLB only behind Giancarlo Stanton, but he’s only hit seven since competing in both the All-Star Game and the Home Run Derby. Judge leads MLB with 179 strikeouts. Chris Davis ranks fourth with 160.
- Closer Aroldis Chapman played in three games against the Orioles so far this seasonal going 1-0 with six strikeouts. Baltimore has not scored against Chapman this season in three tries.
- Both Gary Sanchez (four games) and Austin Romaine (two games) received suspensions for their roles in last week’s altercation with the Detroit Tigers. Both players appealed and will continue to play until MLB schedules hearings.
Notes on the Orioles:
- In the last week, Welington Castillo is 12-for-24 with four home runs and eight RBI.
- As a pitching staff, Baltimore’s ERA against the Yankees is 7.79, their highest against any opponent. However, the team is hitting .323 against New York so far this season, their fourth-highest average against any opponent.
- Over the weekend against Toronto, Jonathan Schoop recorded his 100th RBI on the season; He now owns 101, which is sixth most in both the MLB and the American League. Nolan Arenado leads MLB with 111; Nelson Cruz leads the AL with 103.
Up Next: The Orioles embark of 10-game road stretch. The trip will start in Cleveland for three games, carry over to Toronto for three games, and end in the Bronx for a four-game set with the Yankees.
Image Credit: The Baltimore Wire