On Tuesday afternoon Colby Rasmus informed manager Buck Showalter that he will be leaving the team. The Orioles promptly placed Rasmus on the restricted list.

Rasmus did not provide a specific reason for his departure but it is the second time in his career that he has left a team while under contract. Showalter told the media that Rasmus wished to “go home and discontinue playing.” The Orioles manager went on to say that the team will honor his request. “We wish him well, and we’ll see what the future brings.”

The restricted list doesn’t get brought up often but is in place for scenarios like this. Teams may place a player on the restricted list if they leave the team without a valid reason. A player may also be placed on the list after they announce retirement. This also ensures that the Orioles will remain in possession of the remainder of Rasmus’ contract if he does decide to return to baseball.

Some are speculating that Rasmus is announcing his retirement but the utility outfielder did the same thing last season with the Tampa Bay Rays. Rasmus suffered a hip injury in 2017 that saw him hit the disabled list in June. On July 13 he told the Rays he would be leaving.

The same exact scenario appears to have played out once again in 2018 with Rasmus dealing with another hip injury. Rasmus landed on the disabled list earlier this season and only recently returned to the lineup in late June.

At the time of his departure, the veteran outfielder was batting .133 with one home run and 19 strikeouts in just under 50 plate appearances. Rasmus entered the tenth year of his professional career by signing a minor league contract with the Orioles this past offseason worth $3 million.

Be sure to check out the latest episode of the Charm City Bird Watch podcast

Image credit: Steve Mitchell / USA Today Sports